Friday 27 November 2015

Captive Uploaded

I've just uploaded short story No.5 "Captive."

http://issuu.com/peteraoconnor/docs/captive_-_peter_o_connor

Here's the blurb:

Set in the time of the Spanish conquest of South America, "Captive" is the story of Franciscan monk, taken prisoner after the Spanish Conquistadors desecrate a number of Mayan temples. In order to escape he must face his fears and his prejudices and decide what price he's willing to pay for freedom. 

It's one of the longest stories I've ever written at over 8000 words, more of a novella really. Most of it was written in 1994 so, yeah, I'm a bit of a slow writer. I had a problem with the ending so I've dug it up, dusted it off and I'm pretty happy with the ending now.

I've you happen to read it I'd love to hear any comments or feedback whether good or bad.

"Captive" was inspired in part by Edgar Allen Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum" where the main character wakes up in a horrible situation and they must do their best to escape.

I've always been interested in Mayan, culture and did a fair bit of research whilse writing this. Diego De Landa is an actual historical figure and the accounts of the desecration of Mayan temples and destruction of their culture, by the Franciscan's are also historically accurate.

If you like this story or any of my other writing please follow me on Issuu, share on Facemuck.

https://www.facebook.com/Peter-OConnor-360839490599334/?ref=bookmarks










No comments:

Post a Comment